Here’s a quick and easy Christmas craft to use up toilet roll tubes! I’ve made these before and this year’s trend towards a slimmer tube did cause me some consternation, but I think the mix of stouter and skinnier carollers works well!
You will need:
- loo roll tubes (other cardboard tubes cut down to size or cardboard rolled into a tube works just as well if you haven’t got a vast collection of loo rolls to hand!)
- paint (I used acrylics and mixed up some flesh tones, you can use poster paint if you wish)
- Various paper off cuts
- Bits of ribbon
- Small children’s socks (the ones you’ve kept for years just in case its partner turns up)
- Embroidery thread or wool
- Black pen
- Buttons, bells, plastic gems or other adornments
- PVA glue, sticky tape and scissors
- Cotton wool balls (or other stuffing material)
- Paint the toilet roll tubes in variety of flesh tones and allow to dry
- Wrap paper around the bottom half of the tube and stick in place. Tuck the extra up inside the toilet tube to give a nice finished edge
- Add ribbon scarves, shiny buttons, bells or other adornments for your little folk
- Put a sock on top of each tube, elasticated rib first
- Tie a knot tightly around the sock to make a hat shape and cut off the spare sock just above your knot, leaving enough to make a bobble (one of these hats is a cheat and is an innocent smoothie knitted hat!)
- Cut down into the bobble a bit and fluff out
- Stuff the hat with a little cotton wool to give it shape
- Draw on an angelic chorister face and you’re done!
If you have a doll’s house to pose them outside, so much the better but I think these would also look lovely grouped together in front of the fire or on a shelf warbling away.
You could seal their bottoms with a piece of card and fill the tubes with treats before popping their hats on and handing them out as Christmas gifts. We have plans to make a nativity scene with tubes and Bonus Boy is very keen to make Santa, his reindeer and sleigh…luckily, with 6 of us and various house guests, we get through a lot of loo roll!
What else could we make with our loo roll inner tube collection – or, indeed, with our large collection of odd socks? Have you made any Christmas decorations we should know about? For more Christmas crafts, foods and traditions do check out the ideas linked up on Festive Friday!
A widget by the team at Xmas Direct Christmas lights and decorations