It’s Monday and this week I have decided to relaunch my neglected Meat Free Monday blog spot because I miss it! If you are new here I am a veggie wife to a veggie man and mum to four vegetarian children. I decided to run this meat free slot after requests from followers here and on Twitter and as a showcase for some of my veggie and vegan recipes. It seemed to make sense to run it on a Monday as part of the Meat Free Monday campaign and I aim to post recipes which are easy and family friendly. For more vegetarian food ideas please visit my ‘other place’ Life Is Delicious!
This week a winter warmer, hearty and substantial, good old comfort food.
Vegetarian Toad in the Hole
How to Make Vegetarian Toad in the Hole
- 10 vegetarian sausages
- 350ml milk
- 4 free range eggs
- 250g plain flour
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
- pinch of salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tbsps vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, and mustard
- Add the flour and whisk together to form a smooth batter
- Stir in the chopped thyme, salt and pepper
- Fry your veggie sausages gently in 1 tbsp oil until nicely browned all over (or according to packet instructions)
- Heat 4 tbsps vegetable oil in a large oven proof dish until hot (about 5 minutes)
- Distribute the sausages evenly over the bottom of the dish and immediately pour in the batter mix
- Return to the oven and bake for 30 - 40 minutes until risen and golden
Delicious served with veggie gravy!