These carrot buns are delicious. They do, unfortunately, look very boring and don’t photograph well so I decided to put cream cheese frosting onto some of them to prettify them up a bit – much to the delight of my Bonus Boy!
My children have helped me make these since they were tiny and they remain a firm favourite.
Ingredients (makes 12 – 14)
175g butter at room temperature
100g brown sugar
1 free range egg at room temperature
225g carrots, grated
140g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
½tsp bicarbonate of soda
½tsp grated nutmeg
For the frosting
60g cream cheese
15g unsalted butter
100 – 150g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 12 hole bun tray with paper cases
- Cream the butter and sugar together using an electric mixer until light and fluffy
- Beat in the egg and milk
- Stir in the grated carrots
- Sieve the flour, bicarb, baking powder and spices and stir into the bun mix
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases, filling them almost to the top
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the tops spring back when pressed lightly with your finger
- Cool on a wire rack
They are delicious just as they are but, if you want to frost them, simply beat the frosting ingredients together adding enough icing sugar to make a stiff but easily spreadable paste. I popped a spoonful on top of a few of the buns (we are not all frosting fans) and then used a butter knife to spread it out and then to whirl them a bit. A wafer daisy topped them off nicely.