This is the simplest of spring salads; the pairing of asparagus and soft boiled eggs is one made in heaven. In this shot the asparagus gently enfolding the egg was a happy accident not a clever design!
There is something more than a bit sensual about eating and preparing asparagus. My excitement at its first appearance in my veg box or on a market stall is unseemly and I love the sharing of its bounty with my beloved.
I boiled the eggs and plunged them into iced water before lightly steaming the asparagus so it still had a light crunch at its feet and melted in the mouth at its tip. All it needed was a scattering of salad leaves and a very light salad dressing, nothing to hide that glorious flavour! Dipping an asparagus spear into an egg yolk is one of those Rites of Spring, a yearly marker for the seasonal cook – heavenly!
I served my asparagus salad up with richly flavoured beetroot burgers (recipe to follow) – making the most of the end of last season and the beginning of the next. Look at those colours together – proving once again that vegetarian food is neither bland, nor boring and is certainly not all brown!
- 1 bunch of asparagus (about 6 spears each)
- A handful of seasonal salad leaves
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- ½ tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and Black Pepper
- You will also need a bowl of iced water and a steamer
- Place the eggs in a pan of cold water, bring to the boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for exactly 3 minutes
- Plunge the eggs into a bowl of iced water
- Wash and drain your salad leaves
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste
- Snap the woody ends off the asparagus
- Steam for about 5 minutes until fork tender at the base - keep an eye on it, you don't want a mushy tip!
- Refresh under the cold tap and drop into the iced water
- Carefully peel the eggs
- Lay your washed leaves in a bowl
- Top with the asparagus
- Drizzle with the olive oil dressing
- Cut your eggs in half and place artistically and reverently into the waiting arms of the asparagus
If you like my asparagus salad, I’m pretty sure you’d also like my Asparagus Tart
I’m sharing this recipe with Emily’s Recipe of the Week