*I originally created this Grilled Vegetable Salad recipe for the July/August edition of Superfood Magazine*
I’m loving this spell of hot sunny weather as summer sings its swan song. The last of my tomatoes are ripening beautifully on their vines, peppers and chillies are at their seasonal best and the courgette harvest just keeps on coming! I’m also looking at my fruit trees and I see the promise of apples and plums, there are pumpkins and gourds appearing on market stalls, blackberries and rosehips in the hedgerows and mushrooms pushing their way up through the forest floor – can you tell how much I love autumn?!
Today’s simplest salad recipe makes the most of the late summer crop – all that warmth and long lazy days locked up in a tomato ready to be released as you bite into it!
Grilled Vegetable Salad with Green Leaves and a Balsamic Dressing
- For the Salad
- 2 courgettes, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 red, 1 yellow and 1 orange pepper, halved and deseeded
- 150g (2/3 cup) yellow and red baby plum tomatoes
- 1 red cos lettuce
- 1/2 red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced into half moons
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- a little olive oil
- For the Dressing
- 2 tbsp chilli oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the peppers skin side up under a hot grill until the skins are blackened (about 15 minutes), put them into a bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to cool completely.
- Brush the courgettes with a little oil and grill until browned, turning frequently, place on kitchen roll and leave to cool.
- Peel the skins off the peppers and slice thickly.
- Whisk the chilli oil and balsamic vinegar together and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Wash and drain the lettuce leaves and tomatoes.
- Lay the leaves in a bowl topped with the tomatoes, onion slices the grilled peppers and courgettes.
- Drizzle with the balsamic dressing, top with fresh basil leaves and serve.
This grilled vegetable salad sums up summer for me and I shall be eating it until the heat starts to fade and roasting season begins (probably tomorrow, this being England!)
If you like this grilled vegetable salad post, please share it!
What are you cooking up to make the most of the summer’s bounty?