My First Born has just returned to University in Berlin after two weeks enforced R&R at home recovering from surgery on his hand, poor lad. I took full advantage of his visit, subjecting him to the results of some vegan recipe development. Much of it is freelance work for others but these vegan puff pastry diamonds are making their first appearance here, just in time for Christmas!
Vegan Puff Pastry Diamonds
This dish is super simple to make, especially if you ‘cheat’ a bit and use some ready made ingredients like I did. I do love being in the kitchen but I enjoy being with my family more so anything to save time at Christmas is a boon!
Vegan Puff Pastry Diamonds – Gift Boxes Filled with Herby Cream ‘Cheese’ and Cherry Tomatoes!
- One sheet of ready rolled puff pastry (I used JusRol)
- 6 generous tsp vegan garlic and herb cream cheese (I used the new one from Sainsbury’s vegan cheese range)
- 3 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- a little olive oil.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, 200°C for fan assisted ovens, Gas Mark 7
- Cut the puff pastry sheet into 6 equal squares
- Fold each square in half to make 6 triangles
- Cut along each open side almost to the tip of the triangle
- [url href=”undefined”][img src=”http://thinlyspread.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/How-to-make-Puff-Pastry-Diamond-Boxes.jpg” width=”850″ height=”425″ class=”aligncenter size-full” title=”how-to-make-puff-pastry-diamond-boxes” alt=”How to make puff pastry diamonds”][/url]
- Unfold the triangle and fold one corner to the side of the square, repeat with the other corner to the other side of the square. This is really obvious when you are doing it but if you need clearer instructions check out [url href=”http://www.crunchycreamysweet.com/2013/11/20/cranberry-jam-diamond-pastry/” target=”_blank”]this tutorial[/url] which explains how to make puff pastry diamonds with lots of pictures!
- Place a generous teaspoon full of vegan cream cheese in the centre of each puff pastry diamond, top with half a cherry tomato, a sprinkling of chopped thyme and a generous grinding of black pepper
- [url href=”undefined”][img src=”http://thinlyspread.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Puff-Pastry-Parcels.jpg” width=”850″ height=”949″ class=”aligncenter size-full” title=”puff-pastry-parcels” alt=”Vegan Canapés, Puff Pastry Gift Boxes”][/url]
- Brush the pastry with a little olive oil and bake for 10 – 15 minutes until puffed up and golden brown. Serve hot or warm.
I may have got a bit carried away and spent a whole evening working on recipes for the party season. I have 6 vegan canapés to share with you over the next few days – here’s a little teaser to whet your appetite…
Sign up for my newsletter to make sure you don’t miss any of my festive recipes as the season gets into full swing and, if you like this post, why not pin it for later?
Vegan Puff Pastry Diamonds with Cream Cheese, Tomatoes and Thyme
If you are planning a vegan Christmas, you might like these recipes too!