Lemony fennel, slowly braised in olive oil with chilli sitting on a creamy cushion of Dolcelatte cheese all wrapped up in crisp filo pastry – yes, I am a genius. Especially if you like fennel. If you don’t, just move on – have a look at these Enchiladas or this Pasta Puttanesca instead!
I love fennel raw in salads and roasted in the oven but I think I love it most braised slowly in a heavy pan where it browns and softens slowly absorbing the flavours of herbs and spices – just look at it, it’s gorgeous!
- For the Fennel
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and cut lengthwise into eighths
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp dried crushed chillies
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- For the Parcels
- 4 generous tbsp Dolcelatte cheese
- 30g butter
- 4 sheets filo pastry
- Melt the butter and oil together in a heavy bottomed pan
- Add the fennel and fry gently until just beginning to brown
- Add the fennel seeds and chillies and fry for a further minute
- Add the lemon juice, cover and cook over a low heat for 15 minutes or until the fennel is fork tender
- Preheat your oven to 180C
- Melt the butter in a small pan
- Cut a sheet of filo into quarters
- Brush one-quarter with a little butter, place a second quarter at an angle on top, repeat with the remaining quarters until you have something resembling a filo star
- Place a spoonful of Dolcelatte in the middle of your star
- [url href=”undefined”][img src=”http://thinlyspread.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Fennel-in-Filo.jpg” width=”1000″ height=”1346″ class=”aligncenter size-full” title=”Fennel in Filo” alt=”Braised Fennel and Creamy Dolcelatte in Crisp Filo Parcels”][/url]
- Stand two pieces of fennel in the cheese and draw the pastry up around them, squeeze at the top
- Brush the outside of the parcel with a little more butter
- [url href=”undefined”][img src=”http://thinlyspread.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Fennel-in-filo-parcels.jpg” width=”1000″ height=”1317″ class=”aligncenter size-full” title=”Fennel in filo parcels” alt=”Fennel in filo parcels with Dolcelatte and chilli”][/url]
- Repeat 3 times with the remaining pastry sheets, filo and cheese
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 – 15 minutes until the pastry is golden and crisp
I served my parcels on a bed of almond couscous with new season’s watercress and sliced Portobello mushrooms fried in a tiny bit of olive oil so they retained all their lovely flavour. I poured the juices from the fennel pan over the top and tucked in!
If you like this recipe for Braised Fennel with Dolcelatte in Crisp Filo Parcels, why not Pin It for later?
Shared with Meat Free Mondays at Tinned Tomatoes – a weekly round up of fabulous vegetarian and vegan main meal dishes