I love making these little vegan carrot fritters – every family member loves them which makes life much easier all round! They are suitable for vegans and are delicious hot or cold so they make fabulous packed lunch or picnic food.The sun came out while I was making this batch and my thoughts turned to Spring, to sailing and to eating outside where everything just tastes amazing!
It was half term last week, I served these carrot and coriander fritters up for lunch and they were gone in an instant – I always know I’m onto a good thing when silence falls and no one is pushing things around their plate or hiding them under a salad leaf! I later caught Mr TS popping a cold fritter in between two slices of bread when he came in from work which proves my ‘these are good for picnics’ point, although I’d probably eat them with a crunchy bean salad and some red pepper sauce myself!
Isn’t that colour just amazing?! I love the sweet crispness of the carrot combined with the gentle aromatic warmth of ground coriander – it’s wonderful in a soup and fabulous in a fritter!
The sun just makes everything better doesn’t it? We headed out for a winter sail yesterday and, even though it was still very chilly, it was wonderful to feel the sun on my face and breathe in some soul filling sea air – I reckon my carrot fritters might be joining us for a jaunt soon!
Winter sailing has been wonderful, we’ve had some glorious sunsets and bracing days out but they end too soon as the sun vanishes with unseemly haste.
- 40 g gram flour - also known as Besan or Chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp self raising flour
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- pinch of salt
- 300 g carrots, grated
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- sunflower oil for frying
- Mix together the flours, spices and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add about 5 tablespoonfuls of water and whisk together. You are looking for a batter with the texture of double cream. If it's too think add a little more water.
- Leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Thoroughly stir in the grated carrot and sliced onion until all is covered in a coating of batter.
- Heat a little sunflower oil in a non stick frying pan.
- Take spoonfuls of carrot mixture and push them into the pan, shape them into fritters with the back of the spoon and fry for about 3 minutes on each side until browning and crispy. Fry three of four at a time, depending on the size of your pan.
- Keep them warm in a low oven while you fry the remaining fritters.
As the days get longer and the sailing season gets into its stride I will be sharing recipes from my tiny galley kitchen both here and over on my YouTube channel, where you will see what it’s really like trying to feed hungry sailors while being thrown around by the waves! Look out for my video introduction to life on board and a tour of our 41 foot Jeanneau sailing yacht coming very soon 🙂 Why not sign up for my newsletter to be the first to hear all about it?!
In the meantime, here’s another photo of my carrot fritters which have a little bit of that glorious sunset about them, don’t you think?
And, if you’re looking for more carrot recipes, check out my Hummus and Carrot Tart?
Why not pin my Carrot and Coriander Fritters for later so they are easy to find?
I’m sharing this post with Meat Free Mondays over at Tinned Tomatoes which is packed full of veggie and vegan ideas every week!