I’m writing this with a blanket on my knees, fingerless gloves on my hands and a poncho over my roll neck sweater, I NEED a bowl of this celeriac soup and I need it now!
See that happy smiling soup face? Total accident but I rather like it! That is a swirl of spicy chilli oil which is just what I need on these cold to the bones, damp January days. Those hands belong to my daughter, she nicks my gloves so I make her be my hand model from time to time and she gets to hold a mug of hot soup.
I love easy warmers like this celeriac soup, it requires no more than 6 ingredients and it’s ready in a flash. I’ve popped apple into this one, its slight sharpness marries so well with the earthy sweetness of the celeriac. I made mine in the new Optimum G2.3 Platinum Series Induction blender* from Froothie which makes it even easier with its fabulous soup function. I’m giving one away this month, click here to enter and to see what else this blender can do!
Celeriac and Apple Soup
- 1 onion (about 100g) peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 500 g celeriac, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 easting apple (about 100g), peeled, cored and chopped
- 800 ml - 1 litre light vegetable stock
- salt and black pepper to taste
- a little chilli oil to serve (optional)
- Gently fry the onion in the sunflower oil until soft, add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add the celeriac, apple and 800ml of the stock, bring to a boil and simmer gently for 10 - 15 minutes until the celeriac and apple are soft.
- Blend until smooth, add salt and pepper to taste. Add more stock if the soup is too thick for your tastes.
- Serve with a swirl of chilli oil and soft white rolls.
I served my celeriac soup up with some soft, pillowy white bread rolls, recipe to follow very soon! Why not pour it into a pretty flask, pop on some boots and stride out for a weekend walk with your loved ones? Share it out on the top of your favourite hill, sip it on a winter beach or build a den in the woods and snuggle inside with celeriac and apple soup with doorstop cheddar or hummus sandwiches. I reckon it would make an excellent pick me up if you find yourself marching and protesting – Jumpstart 2017, tackle it head on with hope in your heart and soup in your tummy!
If you like this Celeriac and Apple Soup why not Pin It for Later?
*Disclosure: I am a brand ambassador for Froothie. Any links in this post or others which mention Froothie products are affiliate links, if you purchase through my link it won’t cost you anymore but it will earn me a small commission. I only support and endorse products I am happy to use myself, I have not been paid for this post and all opinions are my own.