This celery soup is silky smooth and full of flavour. You only need 4 ingredients to make this creamy vegan soup and it can be on the table in half an hour. It is satisfying and simple and contains only 109 calories per portion.
You know that feeling when you open the fridge and you realise you have two of something and that that something really needs using up? I had two large heads of celery waving at me, taking up a lot of space and crying out to be lunch – this one fancied being an early Spring soup and who am I to say no to a vegetable which knows its mind?
What To Make With Celery
Celery is often the forgotten bystander of the vegetable world. It usually finds its place in a well flavoured vegetable stock, as a stick to scoop up dips and spreads or as a crunchy extra in a limp summer salad.
But celery is so much more than an extra in someone else’s show! This celery soup recipe puts the spotlight firmly on this delicious vegetable and really lets it shine – it’s a celery celebration!
More Light and Simple Soup Suggestions
I could eat soup almost all day every day, here are a few of my favourites:
- Beetroot Soup
- Celeriac Soup with Apple and Chilli
- Easy Vegan Minestrone
- Roasted Courgette Soup with Basil Pistou
Celery Soup Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 1 head of celery roughly chopped
- 1.5 litres vegetable stock I used Kallo organic veg stock cubes which are my current favourite
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Croutons
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 slices of wholemeal bread cut into bite sized squares
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan
- Add the onion and celery and fry gently until soft
- Add the stock, bring to the boil, lower heat and simmer gently for half an hour
- Process in a blender until completely smooth
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Return to pan and heat through gently
- Meanwhile heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a non stick frying pan, add the bread squares and fry until golden and crispy
- Serve the soup in generous bowls, topped with the crunchy croutons