A simple recipe for a beautiful chestnut and cashew nut roast, perfect for a vegan Christmas.
When I met Mr TS back in 1988 I was delighted that he too was vegetarian and even more delighted to get my hands on his well thumbed copy of the original Cranks Recipe Book.
Cranks brought the nut roast to the vegetarian Christmas table and it has never left mine – not for me the jumped up goat’s cheese salad, the noodles and tofu or the rice stack, I want something substantial and richly flavoured and I want to serve it up with roast veggies, gravy and bread sauce while wearing a paper hat and a tinsel scarf!
So, alongside the compulsory traditional lentil loaf which 3 of my children insist upon, I serve up a savoury nut roast shaped in a festive tin – something like this Vegan Christmas Roast…
That beauty is my Cashew and Chestnut Roast, moist and delicious with the addition of butternut and carrot mash and completely and utterly vegan.
I cooked this one yesterday to welcome my vegan boy home from Uni for the holidays and it went down a treat!
I jazz up festive roasts because I think we eat with the eye as well as the mouth and nose and this is a delight for all the senses so here you go, Chestnut and Cashew Nut Christmas Wreath, a Vegan Christmas Roast to make your mouth water!
A Freeze Ahead Vegan Christmas Roast
More Beautiful Vegan Christmas Roast Recipes
I’m a bit obsessed with Christmas cooking. I’m on a mission to make vegan roast dinners too tempting to resist! Check out my:
- Christmas Tree Shaped Cashew Nut Roast
- Easy Lentil Loaf Topped With a Herb Christmas Tree and Fruity Baubles
- Colourful Vegan Tart with Roasted Vegetables and Smoked Garlic
- Celebration Layered Nut Roast
A Few Vegan Christmas Extras
If you are looking for more vegan Christmas recipes try my:
- Vegan Sausage Rolls
- Bratwurst with Beer Caramelised Onions
- Mushroom Pie with Ale and Chestnuts
- Creamy Potato Gratin
- Beetroot Salad
- Mushroom Pâté with Walnuts, Sherry and Thyme
- Roast Pumpkin and Fresh Fig Salad
Presenting A Vegan Christmas Roast
I am a bit of a drama queen and I do like a bit of a flourish. If you are serving up my chestnut and cashew nut roast, make the most of it!
- Decorate your roast with fresh herbs. Rosemary, Sage and Thyme are perfect for a Christmas wreath.
- Add jewels! Cranberries just look like little baubles on a Christmas tree to me!
- Serve it all up with pizzazz – pop it on a pretty cake stand and make it the star of the show!
Chestnut and Cashew Nut Roast – Vegan Christmas
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 300 g butternut squash peeled and roughly chopped
- 200 g carrots roughly chopped
- 150 g cashew nuts
- 150 g cooked and peeled chestnuts
- 120 g breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 tsp each of dried rosemary, sage and thyme
- 1 tsp yeast extract
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 2 tsps paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh herbs and cranberries to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4
- Fry the onion in the oil until soft and just beginning to colour
- Add the garlic and fry gently for a further two minutes
- Steam or boil the carrots and squash until soft, mash thoroughly
- Grind the cashews and chestnuts in a food processor – not too much, you want ground nuts rather than nut flour
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl
- Press into a greased 900g/2lb loaf tin or ring mould
- Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour
- Remove the foil and bake for a further ten minutes
- Leave to stand in the tin for 10 minutes
- Turn out onto a board (or glass cake stand as I have here)
- Decorate with rosemary sprigs, fresh thyme and cranberries
Pin This Vegan Christmas Roast For Later!
Wishing you all a very Happy Vegan Christmas from all of us at Thinly Spread!
I’m sharing this Vegan Christmas Roast with Meat Free Mondays at Tinned Tomatoes – do go and check out all the other vegetarian and vegan recipes on offer!