Chocolate Rice Krispie Cakes are an absolute Must Do at Easter – if you don’t do anything else, make these!
I know they’re simple and I’m probably telling you something you already know, but these are here for my children and for all those young people out there stepping out into the world who DON’T KNOW HOW TO MAKE A CHOCOLATE KRISPIE CAKE!
If you are about to fly the nest you need to know how to actually make chocolate nests don’t you?!
How To Make Chocolate Rice Krispie Cakes
My Krispie cake recipe is very similar to my Traditional Flapjack Recipe and to my Chocolate Cherry Flapjack but with puffed rice instead of oats and the addition of more chocolate to the mixture – what’s not to love?!
Some crispy cake recipes call for cocoa powder but I love the oozy sumptuousness of chocolate for these little treats.
The simplicity of this old school chocolate rice crispy recipe explains why it remains a popular homemade treat. You simply:
- Gently melt the butter or margarine, golden syrup and chocolate together in a large saucepan.
- Stir in the cereal making sure it’s all well coated with the chocolate mixture.
- Spoon it into paper cases or a lined cake tin and leave it to cool and set.
- Decorate if you want to – vegan marshmallows and mini eggs are a good choice!
This particular batch of chocolate Rice Krispie cakes are for Easter so they need some mini eggs nestling on the nest!
They also need some little chicks making encouraging cheeps to encourage their fellows out of their eggs – or singing little Easter songs with their tiny beaks.
Look at the lead singer in this chicky band, he’s really getting into the groove! He’s even tapping his little toes…
If You’re Looking For More Simple Homemade Treats
- Easy No Bake Chocolate Tart
- Vegan Chocolate Tiffin
- Chocolate Brownies with Pecans
- Gingerbread People
Make Them Vegan
When I first wrote this post in 2016 we were all vegetarian and two of us were about to go vegan. Four of us have now switched to veganism so to ensure our crispy cakes are still on the menu I adapt this recipe just a teeny bit.
- Kellogg’s Rice Krispies aren’t vegan as they contain Vitamin D3 derived from sheep. I use puffed rice cereal from my local wholefood shop instead. Some of the supermarket own brands are also suitable for vegans, do check ingredient labels.
- The arrival of vegan chocolate mini eggs on the high street made me grin. These little pastel beauties were long a tradition of our Easter celebrations and I’m glad they’re back on the menu!
Chocolate Rice Krispie Cakes
- 125 g vegan dark chocolate
- 50 g butter
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 125 g Puffed Rice Cereal*
- paper cake cases
- Put everything except the cereal into a heat proof bowl over a pan of hot water until melted
- Stir in the cereal
- Share between paper cake cases and leave to cool
- Top with mini eggs* and surround with a chick chorus
- Kellogg's Rice Krispies aren't vegan as they contain Vitamin D3 derived from sheep. I use puffed rice cereal from my local wholefood shop instead. Some of the supermarket own brands are also suitable for vegans, do check ingredient labels.
- The arrival of vegan chocolate mini eggs on the high street made me grin. These little pastel beauties were long a tradition of our Easter celebrations and I'm glad they're back on the menu!