Here’s a quick and easy Christmas Carollers craft to use up toilet roll tubes – Who wouldn’t love Loo Roll Christmas Carollers?! I’ve made these before and this year’s trend towards a slimmer tube did cause me some consternation, but I think the mix of stouter and skinnier carollers works well!
You will need:
- loo roll tubes (other cardboard tubes cut down to size or cardboard rolled into a tube works just as well if you haven’t got a vast collection of loo rolls to hand!)
- paint (I used acrylics and mixed up some flesh tones, you can use poster paint if you wish)
- Various paper off cuts
- Bits of ribbon
- Small children’s socks (the ones you’ve kept for years just in case its partner turns up)
- Embroidery thread or wool
- Black pen
- Buttons, bells, plastic gems or other adornments
- PVA (white) glue, sticky tape and scissors
- Cotton wool balls (or other stuffing material)
- Paint the toilet roll tubes in variety of flesh tones and allow to dry
- Wrap paper around the bottom half of the tube and stick in place. Tuck the extra up inside the toilet tube to give a nice finished edge
- Add ribbon scarves, shiny buttons, bells or other adornments for your little folk
- Put a sock on top of each tube, elasticated rib first
- Tie a knot tightly around the sock to make a hat shape and cut off the spare sock just above your knot, leaving enough to make a bobble (one of these hats is a cheat and is an innocent smoothie knitted hat!)
- Cut down into the bobble a bit and fluff out
- Stuff the hat with a little cotton wool to give it shape
- Draw on an angelic chorister face and you’re done!
If you have a doll’s house to pose them outside, so much the better but I think these would also look lovely grouped together in front of the fire or on a shelf warbling away.
You could seal their bottoms with a piece of card and fill the tubes with treats before popping their hats on and handing them out as Christmas gifts. We have plans to make a nativity scene with tubes and Bonus Boy is very keen to make Santa, his reindeer and sleigh…luckily, with 6 of us and various house guests, we get through a lot of loo roll!
We do hope you like our Christmas Carollers Craft What else could we make with our loo roll inner tube collection – or, indeed, with our large collection of odd socks? Have you made any Christmas decorations we should know about?