This may be my speediest post ever – my eldest is due home from University tomorrow, Number 2’s 18th birthday is 4 days before Christmas and I am up to my ears in festive stuff – it is highly probable that I shall implode! However, I wanted to share our recipe for Christmas morning Eggy Bread, it’s easy and delicious and a perfect start to the day! You don’t have to cut your bread into Christmas shapes but it tastes so much better if you do!
This recipe serves three people, making 1 large and 2 small trees for each. I whizz the crusts up in the food mixer to make breadcrumbs and freeze them so nothing goes to waste.
Cinnamon Eggy Bread
- 1 large free range egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 3 slices of bread
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsps sugar
- Whisk the egg, milk, cinnamon and sugar together in a shallow bowl
- Cut the bread into shapes using cookie cutters
- Heat the butter and oil in a non stick frying pan
- Dip the bread into the eggy mixture and allow the excess to drip off
- Fry until golden, flipping so that both sides are evenly cooked
You can make savoury eggy bread by adding a little salt, yeast extract or chilli instead of the cinnamon and sugar. Serve with fresh fruit if you make them sweet or with veggie sausages and mushrooms if you go for savoury – or just eat them on their own and enjoy!