It’s picnic season, barbecue season, hanging out with friends season. School finally finishes next week and it will be time to throw rugs on the lawn for lazy lunches and dinners which drift on into the early hours. These little mouthfuls of Mushroom, Walnut and Tarragon Mousse, served on spoons, make a really lovely addition to a garden picnic or as canapés for a candlelit gathering. I am really in the mood for summer now!
Heinz asked me to come up with a tasty mouthful, which would fit on a spoon, using their new Heinz [Seriously] Good Mayonnaise. The rich creaminess of Seriously Good makes for a light and fluffy mousse which doesn’t overwhelm the other flavours and makes it very easy to spread on a cracker if you decide to make it in a ramekin instead of a spoon – though why would you?!
Heinz [Seriously] Good Mayonnaise contains no added colours, flavours or artificial thickeners and is made with Free Range eggs. It is readily available in supermarkets and you can choose either Standard or Light. It also comes in one of those useful squeezy bottles as well as the glass jar which I prefer – it’s such an elegant shape!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 spring onions, diced
- 75g chestnut mushrooms, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 25g walnuts
- 2 tsp mayonnaise
- pinch of salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- To serve
- Baby salad leaves
- Cherry tomatoes
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a small pan
- Add the spring onions and mushrooms and fry gently until the moisture from the mushrooms is released and then evaporated
- Add the garlic and fry gently for a further minute
- Remove from the heat
- Toast the walnuts slightly in a small saucepan over a low heat
- Put the mushroom mixture and the walnuts into a food processor or blender and process until smooth
- Stir the mayonnaise and the tarragon into the mushroom and walnut mixture
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Chill for half an hour
- Place a salad leaf onto each spoon and top with a spoonful of mousse and a sliver of cherry tomato
Heinz has launched a nationwide competition for the best tasting recipes using Heinz [Seriously] Good Mayonnaise, do you think you can come up with an amazing dish ? Each recipe will be judged on one single spoon serving – so that spoonful really needs to pack a punch! Shortlisted entrants will be invited to prepare their spoonfuls in one of two live judging events taking place in September before one national winner is crowned in October and it could be you! Head over to the Heinz #SeriouslyGoodSpoonfuls website for more details and full Terms and Conditions. Follow the competition as it unfolds on social media using the hashtag #HeinzSeriouslyGood.
Disclosure: This recipe for Mushroom, Walnut and Tarragon Mousse is a commissioned post.