Orange, Fennel and Avocado Salad – a wonderful winter pick-me-up for these post-Christmas days!
Citrus season is so welcome after a bit of seasonal over indulgence. While I am wrapped in so many jumpers and scarves that the shape of me has completely disappeared, down there in Spain they are harvesting the juiciest oranges and lemons and exporting a little of that sunny warmth up to us northern folk. I tell myself that I am eating far more of them than is strictly necessary because I am using them to fend off winter sniffles but, the truth is, I can’t get enough of that flavour – it’s like eating sunshine!
This winter salad combines the crisp crunch of fennel, creamy avocado and the juiciest, zestiest oranges. It is topped with omega rich seeds, chilli oil and tamari and nestles on a bed of peppery watercress – doesn’t it sound like a little bowl of heaven?!
Orange, Fennel and Avocado Salad
- 40 g watercress
- 1 large orange
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp mixed seeds (pumpkin, sunflower, brown and golden linseeds)
- 2 tbsp chilli oil
- 1/2 tbsp tamari
- Wash and dry the watercress.
- Heat the chilli oil in a small pan, add the seeds and cook gently until they start to pop, turn off the heat and add the tamari (be careful, it will spit), leave to cool.
- Peel and segment the orange.
- Slice the fennel as thinly as you can - if you have a mandolin hiding at the back of your cupboard this is the perfect time to use it!
- Remove skin and stone from the avocado and slice thinly.
- Arrange the watercress on a serving dish, top with the avocado, fennel, orange and the seed dressing and serve immediately.
So, there you have it – orange, fennel and avocado salad – a little bit of sunshine to brighten up these grey January days! Can you smell the orange? Doesn’t it make you feel perkier just looking at it?
I like that this salad is good for me with all that omega 3 bustling about inside it and a good shot of vitamin C but, more than that, I like the crunchy, crispness of it. It’s exactly what a salad should be.
If you like my Orange, Fennel and Avocado Salad, pin it for later!
*I originally created this recipe for the July/August edition of Superfood Magazine*