All this sunshine has my head spinning with summery food ideas – et voila, Three Grain Salad with a Roasted Pepper Dressing!
I love grain salads, they are filling without being bloating, tick lots of nutritional boxes and (this is the important bit) they taste delicious! This one contains wheat grain, pearled spelt and brown rice along with some lovely crunchy vegetables, sun-dried tomatoes and fresh herbs all dressed with garlic oil and served with a simple roasted pepper sauce. It’s great for picnics, barbecues and summery packed lunches, as a side dish with falafel, roasts or burgers or simply, on its own for supper in the garden. There is no occasion really when this doesn’t work – maybe not as a dessert, but that’s about it!
Seasonal Salad Making
Switch the vegetables about according to what is available in season, jazz it up with whichever herbs you have to hand or spice it up with some chilli or hot sauce – there’s absolutely no reason not to make this three grain salad in winter with roasted squash, sprouts and red onions!
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
The roasted pepper sauce I used here is one I make almost weekly in my Optimum blender – it’s a fab sauce with so many dishes and takes seconds to make, do have a go at it! If you make any of my dishes do share them on social media with #thinlyspread and tag me so I can see them, I love seeing my recipes going out into the world!
Three Grain Salad with a Roasted Pepper Dressing
- 75 g wheat grain 1/3 cup
- 75 g pearled spelt 1/3 cup
- 75 g brown rice 1/3 cup
- 75 g flat green beans 1/3 cup, sliced very thinly on the diagonal
- 75 g carrots 1/3 cup, julienned
- 50 g spring onions 1/4 cup, sliced very thinly on the diagonal
- 25 g flat leaved parsley 1/8 cup, finely chopped
- 4 sun dried tomatoes in oil drained and finely chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
GARLIC OIL DRESSING
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and bashed with the flat of a knife
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice of half a lemon
- salt and black pepper
ROASTED PEPPER DRESSING
- 1 jarred roasted pepper drained
- 1/2 cup passata
- 2 tsps red pesto
- Cook the wheat grain in a large pan of boiling water for 45 - 55 minutes until tender but with bite, drain and refresh under cold running water.
- At the same time cook the spelt in pan of boiling water for 20 minutes and the rice in another pan for 25 minutes until both are tender, drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Cook the sliced flat beans in a pan of boiling water for 2 minutes, drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Heat the olive oil gently in a pan, add the whole squashed garlic and fry very gently for two minutes until fragrant, leave to cool. Add the lemon juice and a little salt and pepper, whisk to combine.
- Combine the rice, spelt, wheat grain, carrots, cooked beans, spring onions, parsley, sun dried tomatoes and garlic dressing in a large bowl.
- Blend the roasted pepper, passata and pesto together, pour into a small bowl and serve with the rice salad.
If you like this three grain salad you might also like these!
Why not pin it for later?
This recipe first appeared in Superfood Magazine
I’m sharing my Three Grain Salad with Meat Free Mondays at Tinned Tomaotes – a week’s worth of vegetarian and vegan dishes all collected in one place!
Disclaimer: I am a brand ambassador for Froothie and Optimum Blenders. Any links in this post or others which mention Froothie blenders are affiliate links, if you purchase through my link it won’t cost you anymore but it will earn me a small commission. I only support and endorse products I am happy to use myself, I have not been paid for this post and all opinions are my own.