Today’s recipe for Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup makes a soup so velvety and rich you won’t believe there isn’t any dairy cream hiding in there! It proves that creamy is still possible without dairy and that vegan food is substantial enough to fill even my hungriest boy!
I served my Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup with some home baked Thyme Bread Rolls which I made with malthouse bread flour for a substantial and satisfying winter supper.
How To Make Vegan Cream Of Mushroom Soup
There are two secrets to making a really creamy vegan soup. The first is cashew cream and the second is a blender.
Cashew cream has been a game changer for me. It is super easy to make and lifts vegan cooking to a whole new, indulgent, level. It is a really versatile ingredient and turns up in both my savoury and my sweet dishes.
To get this mushroom soup really velvety you will need a high speed blender but if you are happy with a little more texture it works very well in a food processor or with a stick blender. Using a really good blender turned my soup from ‘Oooh, that’s delicious’ to ‘Oh my word, I’ve died and gone to heaven’!
The smell of leeks and mushrooms sizzling away together always perks me up and is guaranteed to bring my family into the kitchen. Flushed out of their various dens like little moles blinking in the light they appear, sniffing the air and asking what’s for lunch! So many of my dishes start with leeks or onions and a handful of mushrooms but in this one they are the star of the show, showing off their delicious earthy flavours with panache.
Looking for More Vegan Soups? Try:
- Roasted Tomato and Garlic Soup
- Slow Cooker Swede Soup
- Beetroot Soup with Coconut
- Celeriac Soup with Apple
Craving More Mushrooms? Check Out These Recipes:
- Mushroom Stroganoff with Mustard Mash
- Mushroom Pâté with Walnuts and Sherry
- Marinated Mushrooms with Cumin Croutons and Watercress
- Pappardelle with Squash, Chestnuts, Mushrooms and Sage
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts
- 15 g dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 leek trimmed and sliced about 100g
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400 g chestnut mushrooms sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic crushed
- A handful flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- 1 vegetable stock cube I used Kallo
- 1 tbsp tamari
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ground paprika and parsley leaves to serve
Cashew Cream (You can make this in advance)
- Soak the cashews for at least an hour
- Drain the cashews and put them in a high speed blender with 1/4 cup fresh water.
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy, add more water if needed to make it a pouring consistency. Pour into a small jug, no need to rinse the blender.
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Soak the dried porcini in 500ml boiling water for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile gently fry the leek and chestnut mushrooms in the olive oil for 10 minutes until the leek is soft and the mushrooms are releasing their juices.
- Strain the porcini through a fine meshed sieve, keeping the soaking liquid for your stock.
- Finely chop the porcini and add to your leek and chestnut mixture along with the garlic and fry gently for a further two minutes.
- Pour the porcini soaking liquid over the leek and mushroom mixture and bring to a simmer.
- Crumble in the vegetable stock cube and add the chopped herbs, tamari and a little black pepper.
- Simmer for 10 minutes then transfer to the blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Add a little more water to thin if necessary.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste
- Pour the mushroom soup into warmed bowls, top with a swirl of cashew cream, a sprinkling of paprika and a leaf of parsley.
- Serve with warm Thyme Malthouse Bread Rolls