Vegetarian sausage rolls, crisp and flaky, hot from the oven simply sing ‘It’s Christmas!’ at me. Of course they are equally at home, cold, as part of a summer picnic, popped into a lunchbox or as part of a buffet spread at anytime of the year. This is the best vegetarian sausage rolls recipe in my repertoire – I have others, which are all mouth wateringly delicious, but this is the one I come back to over and over again. This is vegetarian sausage rolls, it is the best vegetarian sausage rolls recipe and I insist you try it!
How to Make Vegetarian Sausage Rolls
You can use any strong flavoured vegetarian hard cheese, I’ve used Double Gloucester here but I usually use a strong Cheddar. Feel free to fiddle, add a pinch of cayenne if you like a hot sausage, leave it out if you’re wary and use fresh herbs if you’d rather!
If I have time I make my own flaky pastry (no I don’t!) but ready rolled puff pastry is a very good substitute if you’re in a hurry (or at any time, why complicate things?!) You can cook and eat these vegetarian sausage rolls straight away or freeze them uncooked and then glaze them before popping them straight into a hot oven for 30 minutes or so for a ‘Hey Presto, look at me and my marvellous fast food skills’ confidence boost over the festive season!
When you are filling your pastry do make sure you are generous with the filling and that you tuck your pastry in around it nice and tight so that when you bite into it you are not confronted with space rather than sausage!
Vegetarian Sausage Rolls Recipe
- 320 g ready rolled puff pastry sheet
- 200 g Double Gloucester/Mature Cheddar grated
- 1 large onion grated
- 200 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsps crème fraîche
- 2 tsps dried mixed herbs
- 2 tsps mustard powder
- 2 tsps paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One lightly beaten free range egg to glaze
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas Mark 7
- Lightly grease two baking trays
- Place all the filling ingredients into a bowl and combine well
- Cut the pastry sheet into three equal sized strips
- Squeeze generous handfuls of sausage mixture into shape and lie down the middle of your pastry strips
- Brush one side of each pastry strip with beaten egg and fold the other side over the top of the filling to join it making sure you tuck it in well so you don’t have space around your sausage – there’s nothing worse than biting into an air filled sausage roll (there is, obviously, but a stingily filled roll is a very mean spirited thing)
- Turn your rolls over so they are seam side down
- Cut to size for mini sausage rolls as I have or larger for lunch box rolls
- Snip the pastry top of each roll with a pair of scissors two or three times, brush with beaten egg and place on greased baking sheets
- Bake on the top shelf of your hot oven for 20 – 25 minutes until browned and crispy
- Cool on a wire rack if you are not scoffing them immediately
- Store in an airtight container
Freezing Vegetarian Sausage Rolls
If you like these vegetarian sausage rolls and are looking for more ideas for a vegetarian Christmas you might like these!
Chestnut and Cashew Nut Roast (Vegan)