I’m whispering this in case I jinx it – but we appear to be heading into the UK late spring bank holiday weekend with the sun shining here in Somerset! This calls for salad and, as it’s May, it calls for asparagus because everything needs asparagus during its short, wonderful season! I love pairing asparagus with lemon, they just work so well together, but in this Wild Rice and Asparagus Salad I wanted a subtle citrus flavour rather than a zesty one. I used gentle lemon thyme in the salad itself and sumac with its wonderfully tart, slightly lemony, flavour in the dressing. If you can’t get lemon thyme do just add a tablespoonful of lemon juice or more to taste and add in some chopped basil or parsley for good measure. With National Picnic Week just around the corner this is a fabulous addition to your wicker basket – grab a rug and your loved ones and head to the shade of a tree, the top of a mountain or the edge of the sea!
Wild Rice and Asparagus Salad with Sumac Dressing and Lemon Thyme
- 150 g (2/3 cup) mixed wild rice and basmati rice
- 75 g (1/3 cup) shelled broad beans (fresh or frozen)
- 100 g (1/2 cup) fine beans, topped and tailed
- 75 g (1/3 cup) asparagus, woody ends snapped off
- 25 g (1/8 cup) lemon thyme, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp hazelnut oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 11/2 tsp sumac
- Cook the broad beans in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain and refresh under cold running water, slip the outer skins off.
- Steam the asparagus and fine beans for 5 minutes or until fork tender, refresh under cold running water.
- Cook the rice in a large pan of boiling water for 20-25 minutes until just tender (or according to packet instructions) drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Place the rice in a large bowl, add the beans, asparagus, lemon thyme and salt and pepper to taste, stir gently to combine.
- Whisk or blend the ingredients for the dressing thoroughly and pour into a small bowl.
- Serve the rice salad with the dressing on the side for people to help themselves.
Happy Bank Holiday Weekend to you my lovelies, I hope the sun shines where you are!
If you like this Wild Rice and Asparagus Salad, Pin It For Later!