See that happy smiling soup face? Total accident but I rather like it! That is a swirl of spicy chilli oil which is just what I need on cold to the bones wintery days.
Those hands belong to my daughter, she nicks my gloves so I make her be my hand model from time to time and she gets to hold a mug of hot soup!
Cooking With Celeriac
I avoided celeriac for quite some time. It was the vegetable which I bypassed on supermarket shelves, far too knobbly and alien, what on earth would I do with it?!
I remember buying one back in my early twenties pre children “let’s have everyone around for dinner parties” days and shoving slivers of it into a lemony salad.
But, now I’m a grown up, I’m a total fan! Yes, it works brilliantly in a salad but it is also fabulous roasted with a mustardy sauce and capers, cooked slowly in a stew or casserole, added to a curry or simply cooked gently in a soup like this one.
I slice the knobbly skin off with a sharp knife, you can use a peeler but it’s a fiddly little devil, why make life complicated?
Making Celeriac and Apple Soup
I love winter warmer recipes and I love them even more if they are quick like this easy celeriac and apple soup.
It requires no more than 6 ingredients and it’s ready in a flash.
Apple works so well here, its slight sharpness marries so well with the earthy sweetness of the celeriac.
Leave it out if you are not a fan of fruit in savouries, I won’t be offended!
This is the simplest of soup recipes, all you need to do is fry the onion and garlic before adding the rest of the ingredients and simmering it all until the celeriac is soft. Blend it until it’s smooth, season to taste and serve it. Easy!
Celeriac and Apple Soup Serving Suggestions
I served my appley celeriac soup up with some soft, pillowy white bread rolls but you could also try:
- Wowing your guests with some homemade breadsticks.
- This super simple no yeast herby soda bread, ready in 40 minutes.
- Or topping it with homemade cumin croutons.
Why not pour it into a pretty flask, pop on some boots and stride out for a weekend walk with your loved ones?
Share it out on the top of your favourite hill, sip it on a winter beach or build a den in the woods and snuggle inside with celeriac and apple soup followed by a big slice of sticky gingerbread!
In The Mood For More Easy Homemade Soups?
You might also like these:
- Roast Aubergine Soup with Courgettes and Tomatoes
- Simple Chestnut Soup
- Roasted Tomato and Garlic Soup
- Butternut Squash and Red Lentil Soup with Chilli and Coconut
- Winter Vegetable Soup
Celeriac and Apple Soup
- 1 medium onion peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 500 g celeriac peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 eating apple peeled, cored and chopped
- 800 ml vegetable stock
- salt and black pepper to taste
- a little chilli oil to serve (optional)
- Gently fry the onion in the sunflower oil until soft, add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add the celeriac, apple and 800ml of the stock, bring to a boil and simmer gently for 10 - 15 minutes until the celeriac and apple are soft.
- Blend until smooth, add salt and pepper to taste. Add more stock or water if the soup is too thick for your taste.
- Serve with a swirl of chilli oil and soft white rolls.
If you like this Celeriac and Apple Soup why not Pin It for Later?