I love making food from scratch; knowing exactly what I am spooning onto my pancakes or into my biscuits because it was me who put every single one of those ingredients in there makes me grin. I halved the ingredient quantities listed in Minimalist Baker’s Recipe because I only thought I’d need one jar – what a fool I was!
We may not have a word in English to equal the Danish ‘hygge’ but it doesn’t mean we don’t know how to do it; the smell of roasting nuts and melting chocolate pretty much hits the late January/early February spot in my book. Add some crisp, warm puff pastry to the mix and it’s nigh on perfect…just watch as family and friends emerge, drawn by the warmest and most inviting of scents, to sit by the fire and savour these sweet little morsels.
Vegan Palmiers with homemade Vegan Nutella – shall I take a bow now?
Vegan Palmiers with Homemade Vegan Nutella
- 6 tbsps Homemade Vegan Nutella/bought chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 pack of ready rolled puff pastry JusRol is Vegan
- A little Demerara sugar
- A little dairy free milk
- Take the pastry out of the fridge 20 minutes before you want to use it
- Preheat your oven to 200C/180C Fan/350F/Gas Mark 6
- Sprinkle your work surface with a little Demerara sugar
- Unroll the pastry on top of the sugar and roll lightly with a rolling pin so the sugar sticks to the underside
- Spread with the Nutella
- Roll one long side of the pastry to the middle, repeat with the other long side until they meet
- Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 20 minutes
- Slice into pieces about 1 - 11/2 cams thick
- Place on a greased baking sheet with a gap between them to allow the pastry to do its puffing
- Brush with a little dairy free milk
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until puffed and golden
Everything about these vegan palmiers made me happy – look at them all lined up there like Greek Ionic columns!
And then, once they are cooked and your house is filled with that lovely scent and you are nibbling away at them with a steaming cup of coffee or hot chocolate, you can pretend that they are moustaches!