Spicy Butternut Squash and Lentil Soup
A warming bowl of Roasted Butternut Squash and Red Lentil Soup with Chilli, Ginger and Coconut - a simple autumnal soup to welcome in the season.
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 250 g butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small chilli, finely chopped (leave seeds in for a spicy kick, remove them for a milder flavour adventure)
- 1 cm piece of root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp red lentils
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- 250 ml light coconut milk
- chopped chilli and fresh parsley to serve
Preheat oven to 200C/390F. Put 1 tbsp oil into a roasting tin and add the squash cubes. Mix to coat and then roast for about 30-45 minutes or until soft and browning.
Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan and fry the red onion gently until soft (about 5 minutes)
Add the chopped chilli, garlic and ginger and fry for a further minute until aromatic.
Add the lentils, roast squash, coconut milk and vegetable stock, bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes until lentils are soft.
Pour into a blender and blend until smooth (or use a stick blender in the pan)
If the soup is too thick add a little extra water, stock or coconut milk and whisk in.
Serve topped with a little chopped chilli and fresh parsley.
Calories: 198.18kcal | Carbohydrates: 20.56g | Protein: 3.51g | Fat: 11.4g | Saturated Fat: 4.9g | Sodium: 657.39mg | Potassium: 382.32mg | Fiber: 4.63g | Sugar: 4.61g | Vitamin A: 7070.35IU | Vitamin C: 31.96mg | Calcium: 41.37mg | Iron: 1.29mg