We, along with several other bloggers are sharing our kid friendly cooking recipes and tips once a fortnight with an A-Z of recipes to get everyone Cooking with Kids! Today it’s the turn of B for Bananas with some banana pancakes which I am posting a week late due to half term shenanigans last week! To see all the banana recipes from my fellow hosts click on the links at the bottom of this post.
Pancake Day seemed like the perfect opportunity for some kid friendly cooking and Bonus Boy and I whipped up a batch of pancakes served with homemade caramel sauce and some delicious vanilla ice cream. After a brief moment of trepidation he took to pancake flipping like a duck to water and I was out of a job!
Apologies for the blurry photos but those pancakes were flying! Not one stuck to the ceiling and not one fell to the floor – he’s a natural!
He was involved at every stage of the game for this recipe. He whisked together the pancake mix, he sizzled and flipped the pancakes, he dissolved the sugar for the caramel sauce and he helped plate the pancakes up so we could photograph them for this post. Then, he scoffed them!
- 100g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 150ml milk
- 150ml water
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Oil for frying
- 100g light brown sugar
- 100g butter
- 75ml double cream
- 2 or 3 bananas
- Whisking together all the ingredients until smooth
- Leave to stand for 20 minutes in the fridge
- Melt the butter and sugar in a saucepan over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, stirring so it doesn't catch and burn
- Stir in the cream and heat gently until bubbling
- Remove from the heat but keep warm
- Heat a little oil in a non stick or well seasoned frying pan until hot
- Add a ladle full of batter and swirl cover the base of the pan
- When the top is just set and bubble holes are appearing turn of flip your pancake over and gently cook the other side
- Place banana slices on one half of the pancake and cover with the other half
- Drizzle with warm caramel sauce and serve with a dollop of vanilla ice cream
More Banana Recipes to Cook with Kids From the A-Z of Cooking with Kids Team Members