I’m desperate to return to the Greek Islands, to sit in a taverna overlooking the bluest of seas eating olives and sipping wine. Instead, as one of mine is still in school and I’m not allowed to go anywhere, I cooked up this Quorn™ and Aubergine Moussaka with all the flavours of Greece in one little dish.
Aubergines, potatoes and plum tomatoes are layered up with Quorn Meat Free Mince richly flavoured with sun dried tomatoes, oregano and garlic.
I made mine in rosti rings so I could show off a bit (and reveal the lovely layers) but, if that’s too fiddly, you can make four individual moussaka in ramekins or pie dishes, or one large one to share. If you do want to make them as stacks like mine you will need four rosti rings sprayed with cooking spray – if you pack them well and loosen them with a knife around the rim when they are cooked they will slide out easily and look fantastic!
- For the Quorn Meat Free Mince
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 100g Quorn Meat Free Mince
- 150ml tomato passata
- 1 tbsp sun dried tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp paprika
- black pepper to taste
- For the Vegetable Layers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large aubergine, sliced into 1cm slices
- 250g potatoes, sliced into 1cm slices
- 2 plum tomatoes, sliced into 1cm slices
- For the Sauce
- 150ml plain organic yoghurt
- 1 free range egg
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 50g vegetarian parmesan, finely grated
- Preheat your oven to 180C, grease four 7cm rosti rings or 4 deep ramekins or one medium pie dish.
- Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan, gently fry the onion until soft.
- Add the Quorn Meat Free Mince and lightly fry for a further 5 minutes until browned.
- Add the garlic and fry for a further minute.
- Add the passata, sun dried tomato paste, oregano, paprika and freshly ground black pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in another pan and gently fry the aubergine slices until browned on both sides. You may need to do this in two batches. If you use a non stick pan 2 tbsp oil should be enough.
- Lightly whisk the yoghurt, egg and nutmeg together.
- Place the greased rosti rings onto a lightly greased baking tray.
- Place 2 aubergine slices in the bottom of each rosti ring, top with a layer of potato slices then a layer of tomatoes.
- Spoon in a layer of the Quorn Meat Free Mince mixture and press down.
- Place a layer of aubergines onto the mince, then a layer of tomato and finish with a layer of potatoes.
- Press down.
- Pour in some of the yoghurt mixture, allowing it to trickle through any gaps in the potato layer.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Repeat with the other 3 rosti rings/ramekins.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until browned on top.
- Loosen the moussaka with a knife around the rim of each rosti ring and use a spatula to lift them onto serving plates.
- Carefully remove the rings.
- Serve with a selection of salads and a good white wine!
I served my Quorn and Aubergine Moussaka up with mushrooms and cavolo nero stir fried with garlic and roasted red peppers and a salad of shaved fennel and almonds with lemon and capers – the little green salad with a nasturtium looks pretty for photos but my tummy wanted something a bit more substantial! You could serve yours with Greek Salad Couscous or with a Crunchy Green Salad with Broad Beans and Mint.
For more simple meat free recipes using Quorn in all its guises have a look at their website and keep your eyes open for more recipes here on Thinly Spread both at home and at sea!
If you like this recipe for Quorn and Aubergine Moussaka you might also like my Quorn Meat Free Chicken and Bean Enchiladas
This is a sponsored post.