Today’s offering is a crisp and crunchy green salad, packed full of flavour and goodness which is a must as a side dish on the veggie barbecue, perfect packed for a picnic and doesn’t last long if it’s left in the fridge to snack on! I served it for lunch yesterday with sizzled veggie sausages, tabbouleh and potato salad. Yum!
Broad Bean Salad with Mint
- 200 g fresh podded weight or frozen broad beans
- 200 g frozen green soya beans
- 200 g sugar snap peas topped and tailed
- 2 tbsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- A handful of fresh mint roughly chopped
- A handful of fresh chives snipped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the frozen beans according to packet instructions and cool immediately in cold water. If using fresh broad beans release them from their silky beds, cook in boiling water for 5 minutes and cool quickly.
- Steam the sugar snaps for 4-5 mins and plunge into cold water to cool.
- Pinch the ends of the broad beans and squeeze the green inner bean out of its leathery jacket (you don't have to do this but they look and taste so much better if you do for this salad!)
- Combine the beans and the peas in a bowl with the olive oil, herbs, a little salt and a generous amount of black pepper.
Why not serve this up with a generous slice of asparagus quiche and really spring into Spring?