Chocolate flapjack with cherries is a flavour combination made in heaven. Deliciously indulgent they are grown up flapjacks in their best going out clothes!
The Healing Powers of Chocolate Flapjack!
Yesterday I put on my apron, fired up the oven, rolled up my sleeves and made a batch of indulgent chocolate cherry flapjack! My daughter has reached the half way point in her GSCE exams, she’s exhausted, she’s wonderful and she deserves these!
I used my basic, reliable, everyday vegan flapjack recipe (not actually ‘every day’, that would be mad) and jazzed it up with chocolate and dried cherries. As they baked the warm smell of oats and cocoa filled the house – a comforting smell to come home to, full of promise.
She has been working so hard, I’m incredibly proud of her, we can’t wait until exams are over and we can escape to the sea. But, in the meantime, I let the restorative powers of chocolate and a night off work their magic!
How To Make Cherry and Chocolate Flapjacks
Making flapjack is so simple. It is the recipe I always turn to if my children need a pick me up, even now they are grown. These simple tips should help you to easily produce these little bars of joy.
- Make sure you grease and line your tin to make it easy to remove the flapjack when you are done.
- When you put the mixture into the tin make sure you press it down pretty firmly. Show it who’s boss. This will help it to hold together once it is baked.
- Don’t try to cut the cooked flapjack until it has cooled in the tin for at least 10 minutes, it’s less crumbly as it cools.
Looking For More Vegan Baked Treats?
- Easy Vegan Jam Sponge Cake
- Fork Biscuits
- Vegan Brownies with Pumpkin and Pecans
- Chocolate Fudge Cake
Vegan Cherry and Chocolate Flapjack
- 23cm x 23 cm/ 9"/9" square baking tin
- Baking parchment
- 180 g vegan margarine
- 180 g soft brown sugar
- 4 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 375 g Porridge Oats
- 2 handfuls of branflakes
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 75 g dried cherries
- 50 g dark chocolate at least 70% cocoa
- 16 fresh cherries
- Preheat your oven to 170C/340F
- Grease and line your baking tin.
- Melt the butter, golden syrup and sugar together in a large saucepan.
- Mix together the oats, cocoa and bran flakes and add to the pan.
- Stir well to combine throughly.
- Add the dried cherries and stir again so that they are evenly distributed.
- Press the mixture into your prepared tin. Squash it with the back of a metal spoon so that the oats begin to glue together.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 - 20 minutes until the flapjack is brown.
- Leave to cool in the tin for ten minutes, cut the flapjack into 16 squares and leave to cool completely in the tin.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl standing over a pan of hot water.
- Drizzle the top of the cooled flapjack with chocolate and leave to set.
- Dip the cherries into the remaining chocolate and leave to set on a piece of baking parchment.
- Top each flapjack with a chocolate cherry!