Time is whizzing by and this is already the fourth in my series of the Simplest Vegetarian Recipes! These recipes are aimed at people who are new to vegetarian cooking, vegetarian and vegan students and those who just want something simple which is on the table in a flash. This week’s offering is a Curry in a Hurry – the simplest and most straight forward baked bean curry, ready in no more than 30 minutes, satisfying, nutritious and full of flavour. It is one of the first recipes I ever posted here on Thinly Spread back in 2010 and I’ve just nipped back in time and deleted it so I can write it afresh six years on!
Baked Bean Curry is the simplest of vegetarian curries to put together and it is the most comforting dish when you just want something to fill your tummy at the end of a long day. The quantity here will serve two people generously but it freezes REALLY well so always make it in this quantity and then you’ll have another portion ready when you don’t even feel like chopping up vegetables! It goes well served with naan bread, as I have here, or with a pile of rice or with a nice plate of chips.
Baked Bean Curry was the first thing Mr TS cooked for me when we met 28 years ago and I was VERY impressed so, if you are a student with your eye on a particular person or wanting to show how accomplished you are, this is a good place to start!
You can jazz it up by adding mushrooms when you are frying the onions and it’s great for using up all those bits and bobs of veg at the bottom of the fridge. Add more curry powder if you like it hotter, add some grated ginger root when you add the garlic to give it a bit more zing. Throw in some fresh coriander leaves at the last minute if you want a bit more authentic curry flavour. It’s nice with grated cheese on top, I sometimes add a handful of plump sultanas – it’s a good base for a bit of experimentation as you get bolder in the kitchen!
Here’s our latest video, showing you how to make it, and the full written recipe is further down this post! Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel to receive new recipes every Wednesday!
Easy Baked Bean Curry
- 1 tablespoon sunflower/vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots scrubbed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 200 g potatoes scrubbed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 75 g 3 cubes frozen chopped spinach
- 2 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 – 2 tablespoons medium curry powder
- 1 tin baked beans
- Gently heat the oil in a medium pan
- Add the onions and fry gently until just beginning to brown (about 5 minutes)
- Add the carrots and potatoes and stir
- Add the curry powder and chopped garlic and cook gently for one minute
- Add enough water to just cover the vegetables and bring to the boil
- Cover the pan with a lid, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes
- Add the frozen spinach and simmer for a further 10 minutes
- Add the beaked beans and heat through thoroughly
- Serve with Naan Bread, Rice or Chips!
If you don’t know what simmering means or you’re baffled by a particular cooking term do have a look at my growing ‘Glossary of Cooking Terms for Students‘, aimed at taking the mystery out of recipe reading! It’s not just for students, of course, but with two of mine now away at Uni this seems like a good thing to do!
If you like this you might also like
I do hope you’ll come back next week for the next recipe in this series– watch out every Wednesday for the latest super easy vegetarian or vegan recipe. Sign up to receive email updates straight into your inbox, follow me across social media and if you have a question…just ask!
Why not Pin this for later?