Lentils are such fabulous little things – I cook with one or other of them at least twice a week and they are perfect in these vegan Green Lentil Burgers.
The burger buns are homemade too, as is that glorious sweet pepper sauce, I was on a roll that day 😉
I’m on the hunt for the perfect vegan burger recipe but I’ve loved every one I’ve made so far and haven’t yet got a favourite! This one is deeply savoury and happy to carry all the traditional burger relishes and accoutrements. It’s also really easy to make and holds together nicely in the oven. They work really well on the BBQ, just turn them carefully rather than flipping them with abandon.
If you are looking for more veggie burger recipes try my:
I served my burgers in homemade vegan rolls with crisp salad leaves and my sweet red pepper sauce. I can’t really call my recipe for pepper sauce a ‘recipe’, it’s too simple to merit the title, but it always impresses anyone who tries it so please don’t tell anyone else how easy it is! To make it all you need is one whole, roasted and skinned red pepper (I use jarred peppers from Peppadew to make the whole process really speedy), 1/3 cup canned chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper. Whizz it all up in a blender and you’re done! I also made a tray full of homemade chunky chips – well, the oven was on, it would be rude not to! Just potatoes, chopped into thick slices, parboiled, drained, drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with sea salt then roasted for 30 – 40 minutes….Mmmmm.
My eldest is due home from University in Berlin next week and we will be rushing around like mad things. It’s a very quick turnaround between leaving Berlin after 7 months and heading to Tokyo to study there for 5 months! I’ve just sent him a picture of this burger and he’s keen to taste test it when he gets back so at least that’s one thing sorted!
Green Lentil Burgers with Sweet Potato
- 100 g green lentils
- 200 g sweet potato, chopped into chunks
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 small red onion (about 100g), peeled and diced
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 tbsp each of chopped fresh chives, parsley and thyme
- 1/2 tsp Marmite
- 1 tbsp tahini
- Preheat your oven to 200C/180Fan
- Rinse your lentils and then put them in a saucepan with plenty of water, bring to the boil and then simmer for about 35 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse under the cold tap.
- Meanwhile place your sweet potatoes in a baking tray with the oil, cumin seeds and paprika and roast in a hot oven at 200C for 20 - 30 minutes until soft. Allow to cool.
- Mix together all the ingredients in a large bowl. Form into burger shapes and place on a lightly greased baking tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes in your preheated oven (200C/180Fan), flip and bake for a further 8 - 10 minutes until browned.
If you like my recipe for Green Lentil Burgers why not Pin it for Later?