Lightly pressed tofu is covered in a simple four ingredient sauce then quickly shallow fried and served. The whole process takes no more than half an hour before this easy weeknight vegan meal is on the table and in your belly – hoorah!
Coating the tofu in sticky sweet chilli, crunchy peanut butter, soy sauce and sesame oil makes that lovely caramelised crust you can see in my photos. Inside its crispy jacket the tofu remains soft and creamy – it’s a wonderful texture contrast.
How To Make Peanut Butter Tofu – Some Tips and Tricks
If you have time to spare and an urge to indulge your inner domestic god/dess have a go at making your own tofu from scratch, it is deeply satisfying. If you just want to eat it without all that faffing about buy a good block of the ready made stuff instead!
- Briefly press the tofu by wrapping it in a tea towel. Squeeze the worst of the water out by hand.
- The peanut butter may need a bit of encouragement to mix in with everything else.
- Cook the tofu straight away or leave it to stand while you chop some veg, ginger, garlic and chilli for a stir fry.
- Don’t turn the tofu too soon, you need the sauce to crisp and cling. Try turning one piece and if it comes with the sauce attached all brown and crispy you are ready to turn it all!
The colours in this meal cheer me up every time I cook it and the peanut butter tofu just screams VEGAN COMFORT FOOD at me – get in my belly!
For More Easy Tofu Recipes Try:
- My Easy Vegan Fried Rice
- My Vegan ‘Egg’ Mayo Salad Sandwich
- Jac’s Chip Shop Battered Tofu
- Lexie’s Shredded Curry Tofu with Spinach
For More Simple Vegan Recipes Try:
Peanut Butter Tofu with Sweet Chilli and Soy
- 200 g firm tofu
- 2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp warm water
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Wrap the tofu in a towel and squeeze the worst of the water out.
- Chop the tofu into bite sized cubes.
- Mix together the peanut butter, sweet chilli, soy, sesame oil and water until you have an amalgamated sauce.
- Coat the tofu on all sides with the sauce.
- Heat the oil in a large, non stick, frying pan over medium to high heat.
- Add the tofu, it should sizzle when it goes in. Turn frequently until brown and crispy. Don't turn it too soon, you need the sauce to crisp and cling - try turning one piece and if it comes with the sauce attached all brown and crispy you are ready to turn it all!
- Serve over rice with stir fried vegetables. You may have some sauce left, if so, thin it with a little more water and add it to your stir fry!
Pin This Easy Tofu Recipe For Later