Vegan Toffee Popcorn with dried apple pieces – just look at it up there – sweet, crispy and chewy, all at the same time! It went down very well as we curled up on Sunday evening with the woodburner blazing and Harry Potter on the DVD player.
In theory, this recipe makes enough for 8 cones of toffee apple popcorn for your Halloween Party or Bonfire Knees Up – in practice 4 of us ate the lot. Pretty rapidly. It was a bit unseemly if I’m honest. We pretended we were checking and double checking that the recipe worked. We could tell that it did from the first bite. We were trying it on, frankly.
The sparklers and popcorn made for such lovely pictures and really put us in the mood for all upcoming festivals of light!
If you haven’t popped your own corn before I would really urge you to have a go – it’s super simple and it can be a really healthy snack. Toffee popcorn can’t really claim to be healthy but if you replace the butter with rapeseed oil, leave out the sugar and add simple flavorings like chilli or cinnamon, sumac or black pepper you have an easy after school vegan snack, ready in minutes.
If you are popping corn with children I would really recommend a pan with a see through lid so they can see the popping in action – do be careful with small children and hot pans though, obviously!
Watch out over the next few weeks for more recipes for Autumn and Winter Festivals – this is my favourite time of year to be in the kitchen and I have big plans – as does my daughter! If you like this recipe you might like to check out some more winter warmers for your feasting…wrap your hands around a mug of steaming cauliflower cheese soup, wander out into the garden and watch the fireworks with a Vegan Pie filled with Sweet Potato and Mushrooms, a slice of Warm Apple Cake or a Vegetarian Sausage Roll. Round it all off with the satisfying crunch of homemade cinder toffee dipped in chocolate!
Toffee Popcorn with Dried Apple Pieces
- 100 g popping corn
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 3 dried apple rings, finely chopped
- 30 g vegan butter/rapeseed oil
- 30 g soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Heat the oil in a deep saucepan with a well fitting lid (a see through one is great with children!)
- Add the popcorn and put the lid on
- Pop the corn over a medium heat, shaking the pan occasionally to stop it from sticking/burning
- Remove from the heat when the popping has stopped, transfer the popped corn to a large bowl
- In a small saucepan heat the butter, sugar, golden syrup, vanilla and cinnamon, stirring occasionally, until it is all melted together
- Stir in the chopped dried apple
- Pour the toffee apple sauce over the popcorn and stir thoroughly to combine
- Allow to cool, stirring occasionally to stop it all clumping together
- Serve in cones, cups or bowls with optional indoor sparklers!