Yes, of course, you can buy vegan BBQ sauce but homemade tastes SO much better! This easy recipe is smoky, sweet and tangy. It takes 20 minutes to make and is fabulous as a marinade, a dip and a spread.
It is also much better dressed at the BBQ – no plastic jacket or shouty label here my friends!
Homemade Vegan BBQ Sauce
The beauty of making sauces from scratch is that you are in control of the sugar and salt content, the flavour profile and the heat.
In my family, we have hot sauce fans as well as those who prefer to err on the side of chilli caution. Making my own sauce means I can dial it down a bit in one batch and indulge my love of spice in another. Everyone is happy!
There is a vast array of BBQ sauces available on the high street and while most are vegan, a fair few are not. If you are buying one, the hidden culprit to look for on the label is Worcestershire sauce. Traditional Worcestershire sauce is flavoured with our little fishy friends, the humble anchovy.
In my recipe, I use a vegan Worcestershire sauce from my local health food store or Henderson’s relish which is a really good substitute and is readily available in supermarkets. This leaves our fishy friends right where they are supposed to be!
For this Vegan BBQ Sauce you will need:
- Tomato Ketchup – as the base. Use a low sugar brand if you like.
- Maple Syrup – just a smidge for its caramelly flavour and its hint of the woods.
- Brown Sugar – for all the sweetness!
- Apple Cider Vinegar – for a bit of acidity.
- Garlic Powder – for its pungent, spicy flavour.
- Smoked Paprika – for that BBQ smokiness.
- Henderson’s Relish or Vegan Worcestershire Sauce – for spice.
- Hot Sauce – to taste, will you spice it up or keep it cool?
- Salt and Black Pepper – of course!
I love this photo – it makes me just want to dive on in there!
How To Make It!
It couldn’t be simpler! Just add all the ingredients to a small saucepan, bring it to a bubble and then simmer very gently for 20 minutes so all the flavours meld together.
Do taste and adjust the seasoning to suit you. If you like it a little sweeter, stir in some more sugar while it’s still hot. If you want a real kick to it, add more hot sauce. If it needs a bit more salt, pop some in.
Let it cool and decant it into a pretty jar so you can show it off to your friends and family!
Vegan BBQ sauce tastes great on:
- Green Lentil Burgers straight from the grill.
- BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches
- Vegan Bratwurst with beer caramelised onions in a bun.
- Falafels in pitta pockets.
- Or use it as a dip for potato cakes, vegetable sticks and cucumber slices.
You can also use it as a marinade for tofu, vegetable skewers or for BBQd Jackfruit.
Vegan BBQ Sauce
- 250 g tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ tablespoon vegan Worcestershire Sauce/Hendersons Relish
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- hot sauce to taste
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan and whisk together.
- Bring to a bubble and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Leave to cool then decant into a clean bottle or jar and seal.