I am always on the hunt for a good vegetarian or vegan chocolate mousse. When Mr TS and I were camping on honeymoon in France 21 years ago it became a bit of an obsession and proved to be nigh on impossible. Each little pot of chocolate goodness was sullied by the addition of gelatine (why? Totally unnecessary.) or the eggs were of questionable origin. It was easier to do without but it made me very, very sad.
In the intervening years it has become much easier to track down good commercially made petit pots au chocolate and mousse which are vegetarian and/or vegan friendly BUT it is REALLY easy to make at home!
Just look at it – doesn’t that make you want to dive right in?
The secret to this velvety mousse is silken tofu. The beauty of using tofu is that it allows every last scrap of chocolate flavour to shine through with all the creaminess you could ask for. It’s also packed full of protein and contains a good dose of iron and all those essential amino acids which our bodies need but, I have to be honest, I wasn’t thinking about the healthy stuff when I was whipping this up, I was drooling over the creamy chocolatiness of it! If you want to read more about the goodness of tofu have a gander at this article, then come back here and make this mousse!
- 300 g Clearspring Organic Silken Tofu
- 100 g good dark chocolate at least 70% cocoa solids
- 5 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon or ½ teaspoon orange extract
- small pinch of salt to taste
- Break the chocolate into pieces and place into a bowl set over a pan of hot water
- Place over gentle heat until the chocolate has melted
- Leave to cool slightly
- Whizz the tofu in a blender/food processor until completely smooth
- Add the melted chocolate, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and cinnamon and blend until combined
- Pour into glasses, cups or pots and chill for at least an hour
I’m sharing this recipe with the fabulous chocolate recipe challenge ‘We Should Cocoa’, the brainchild of Tin and Thyme and this month hosted by Lovely Appetite.
If you love this post why not pin it for later?