Asparagus and avocado sit in radicchio leaf cups, topped with rocket, toasted pinenuts and a zingy lemon caper dressing.
It’s super easy to make, bursting with flavour and texture and ready in a matter of minutes!
Asparagus Avocado Salad
With the crazy hot weather we’ve been having here in the UK this week I’ve been desperate to avoid too much cooking, I want things that take 5 minutes and I’m out of that kitchen!
This lovely little salad takes no more than 15 minutes to prep and cook – hoorah!
Refreshing and summery with zing from the dressing, crunch from the asparagus and creamy deliciousness from the avocado, it makes a lovely starter or a simple lunch.
I have too often been presented with an uninspiring plate of greenery and I think most veggies and vegans will be nodding along with me. I was even presented with a plate of sliced tomatoes as the veggie option by a well-known chef at a media event while my fellow writers tucked into a large plate of something far more filling!
Gone are the days of boring salads with limp lettuce leaves and half a sad tomato, I’m on a mission to jazz up the salad bowl!
Here I’ve gone for a mixture of colours and textures to please both eyes and the mouth.
- Radicchio Leaves are just gorgeous, all that colour AND fabulous texture to boot! It’s a salad prima donna. Serve it whole as I have or tear it to add a splash of colour to a green salad.
- Rocket adds texture and delicious peppery flavour to the mix and it always goes well with a lemony dressing.
- Pine nuts for crunch and flavour. I love a nut in a salad and could just as well have used almonds or hazelnuts here.
- Avocado adds a lovely creamy texture which goes SO well with the crisp crunchiness all around it in this salad.
- Asparagus Tips briefly steamed then refreshed to keep their texture and to lock in their fabulous spring flavour.
- Lemon and Caper Dressing for a zing of citrus and the tangy saltiness of capers.
You don’t have to serve it in fancy cups, the radicchio leaves make lovely little bowls all by themselves!
Lemon and Caper Dressing
Lemon and caper dressing is one of my absolute favourites. It is so easy to put together and I love the combination of zingy lemon juice and salty capers.
You will need:
- Olive oil
- The juice of a lemon
- Garlic – crushed
- Capers – chopped
- Pine nuts – toasted
- Fresh parsley – chopped
Whisk the oil and vinegar together, stir everything else in and that’s it! Super simple to put together and a celebration of summer flavours to burst in your mouth!
More Salad Recipes
I love salads, all year round. Join me on my mission to shake up the salad and try some of these!
- Beetroot Salad – a vibrant winter coleslaw
- Roast Cauliflower Salad with Sweet Pepper Salsa
- Wild Rice and Asparagus Salad with Lemon Thyme and Sumac
- Three Grain Salad with a Roasted Pepper Dressing
- Orange and Fennel Salad
- Roast Pumpkin and Fig Salad
Asparagus Avocado Salad
- 1 avocado
- 12 asparagus tips
- 4 radicchio leaves
- 4 handfuls of rocket (arugula) leaves
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon capers finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts toasted
- a handful of fresh flat leaf parsley chopped
- Whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice, stir in the garlic, capers, pine nuts and parsley.
- Steam the asparagus tips for 3 minutes, drop into ice cold water, drain and pat dry.
- Peel and quarter the avocado and remove the stone. Slice each quarter thinly.
- Line 4 small bowls or cups with a radicchio leaf and a handful of rocket, top with the avocado slices and asparagus tips drizzled with the lemon and caper dressing.